21 Things We’reLearning At Fab.com 10-12-11
- 130 Days Ago Fab.com Didn’t Even Exist.
- Now, We’ve Got 750,000 Members, 3M Visits/ Month, $100K sales days.
- It’s Humbling.
- It’s Exciting.
- It’s Challenging. We never imagined we’d grow so fast.
- Here are 21 Things We’re Learning As We Go:
- Do 1 Thing. Find 1 thing you can do really well and focus entirely on that one thing.
- Say No! Don’t do any thing else except for yourone thing. Say no to meetings, ideas, proposal, b.s., outside of your core 1 thing.
- It’s Always All About The Product. Our virtual products (website & apps) and physical products (design objects) must delight every day.
- Keep it Interesting. No one comes back to check out the same thing every day. Keep it fresh, exciting, and unpredictable.
- Make People Smile. We’re not in the design sales business, we’re in the design inspiration business. Inspire people and the sales will come.
- Service Matters More Than Sales. Sales go up and down. Service lasts forever.
- Do Whatever It Takes To Make Customers Happy. Get it right and they’ll tell their friends. Get it wrong and they’ll tell the entire world.
- Make Mistakes Take risks. Move fast. Learn faster.
- Recover Quickly.
- Apologize. Own your screw-ups.
- Strive to Have Your Customers LOVE Every Interaction With Your Company. Push your team to live this dream.
- Celebrate Your Challenges. Force the team to focus on why you suck, even while you’re growing.
- Don’t Focus Too Much OnThe Vision. Winning is all about execution.
- Be Transparent. The more people know, the better.
- Measure Everything.
- Grow Your People. Coach your team to scale with the opportunity.
- Fill Your Gaps. Bring in new talent to spur further growth.
- Hire Smarter. Hire people who are better at their jobs than you ever could be.
- Maintain Perspective Success is fleeting.
- Say Please & Thank You. People do things because they want to, not because they have to.
- Have Fun. Life’s too short to do it any other way.